Swollen feet during pregnancy is very normal. The increased pressure in your leg veins, pressure from growing baby, excess blood and fluid are the main causes for swelling. Most of the pregnant women experience this swelling in the feet particularly in the last few months of pregnancy. There is no need to worry about this problem. Some simple home remedies can help to get rid of this issue.
Follow this home remedy to cure swollen feet during pregnancy. Take one teaspoon barley, soak in water overnight. Take 10 to 15 Indian nettle (Kuppaimeni) leaves, blend and make juice. Add soaked barley and Indian nettle leaves juice to pan. Boil the two together for few minutes and make porridge. Allow it to cool down and consume once a day to cure swollen feet.
Barley plays an important role during pregnancy. Both barley porridge and water is so beneficial during pregnancy. Barley has diuretic property in it, thus activates the urination rate, thereby eliminates the excess fluid in the body and prevents swelling in legs. It also prevents urinary tract infections.
Consuming barley during pregnancy can be useful in various ways.
- Barley is rich in iron, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Daily consumption of barley satisfies the daily requirements of these nutrients.
- Most of the pregnant women suffer with constipation and hemorrhoids. As barley is rich in fibre, which helps to prevent constipation and other problems.
- The presence of organic compound called niacin promotes good digestion, and aids in clotting of blood, which makes it highly helpful at the time of delivery.
- The lactogenic properties of barley can help in secretion of more breast milk.
- Barley water is good for nausea and vomiting.
The one more ingredient called Indian nettle (Kuppaimeni) leaves extract is very effective in the treatment swollen feet. It has many medicinal properties, thus cures swelling, pain in legs and feet.
Names in other languages:
- Scientific name – Acalypha indica
- English – Indian nettle or Indian Copperleaf
- Hindi – kuppi
- Sanskrit – harita manjari
- Malayalam – kuppameni
- Bengali – mukta jhuri
- Tamil – kuppaimeni
- Kannada – kuppugida
- Telugu – harita manjari
Follow the simple steps in this DIY and know how to cure swollen feet with barley.
How to cure swollen feet during pregnancy – DIY
- 1 teaspoon Barley
- 10 -15 Fresh Indian Nettle (Kuppaimeni leaves)
- Water ((as required))
- To make this porridge, use barley, Indian nettle (Kuppaimeni) leaves and water.
- Add one teaspoon of barley to water.
- Soak barley in water overnight.
- Take 15 Indian nettle leaves, add to mortar.
- Add very little water before crushing.
- Crush the leaves.
- Squeeze the extract.
- Add water to pan.
- Add leaves extract to water.
- Add soaked barley.
- Boil for ten minutes or until barley become mushy.
- Barley porridge is done.
Consume this barley porridge once a day to avoid or cure swelling in feet.
Kalaivani Selvaraj, MBA, got her Master’s degree in Human Resources. Due to her interest in natural healing, she pursued studies in the field of alternative medicine and is certified in Aromatherapy by Isla Verde Spa Training Academy. Ms. Kalaivani Selvaraj is also certified by Stanford University School of Medicine in Introduction to Food and Health.
Beauty - DIY (5)
Cold, cough, flu and wheezing (3)
Dental care (2)
Digestive health (8)
Diseases and disorders (55)
DIY - Natural Remedy Recipes (160)
Female Sexual wellness (4)
Hair care (25)
Health - DIY (337)
Home remedies during and post pregnancy (9)
Home remedies for child care (25)
Home remedies for cholesterol (1)
Home remedies for weight loss (11)
Home remedies to cure diabetes (12)
Lip care (6)
Natural beauty products (33)
Natural Remedies (179)
Natural remedies for acne and pimples (26)
Podcasts - Q&A with Experts (2)
Pregnancy & Child care (48)
Recipes for nutrition (4)
Remedies for dandruff (7)
Remedies for hair fall (11)
Sexual issues in men (1)
Skin and Hair care (53)
Skin care (45)
Skin disorders (17)
Weight Loss (18)