The beautiful lavender flower has multiple benefits for overall health, skin and hair. When taken internally in the form of a tea, it will reduce stress, promote sleep and improve female reproductive health. Lavender also has topical benefits for the skin and hair.
Lavender and curd (or yogurt) have the below benefits for skin:
- Lavender can moisturize skin and make it feel softer for a longer period of time.
- This flower has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe the skin and cure minor wounds, skin irritations and sun burns.
- Lavender oil or cream can be applied on insect bites to reduce pain and itchiness.
- Due to its collagen inducing properties, it can help to heal skin affected due to pimples and acne. It can also reduce scarring due to acne.
- It can delay signs of aging and keep the skin youthful and supple.
The area of wounds topically treated with lavender oil was significantly decreased as compared to that of wounds of control rats at 4, 6, 8, and 10 days after wounding.
Mori, Hiroko-Miyuki et al. “Wound Healing Potential of Lavender Oil by Acceleration of Granulation and Wound Contraction through Induction of TGF-Β in a Rat Model.” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 16 (2016): 144. PMC. Web. 14 July 2017.
Many discreet compounds in lavender oil have shown a myriad of potential therapeutic effects, and researchers continue to seek novel treatments to different ailments.
Woronuk G, Demissie Z, Rheault M, Mahmoud S. Biosynthesis and therapeutic properties of lavandula essential oil constituents. Planta Medica. 2011;77(1):7–15.
Facial packs or masks are popular beauty treatments that are thought to improve skin quality. We formulated a yoghurt pack using natural ingredients (F-YOP), with consideration of skin affinity, safety, health, and beauty. .. Facial areas treated with F-YOP showed increased moisture compared to control regions.
DIY – Moisturizing Lavender yogurt face mask
- 2 tbsp Dried lavender flowers
- 1 teaspoon Organic honey
- 1 tbsp Curd (Yogurt can also be used instead.)
- Take 2 tablespoons of dried lavender flowers, yogurt or homemade curd (preferable) and organic honey.
- Take the lavender flowers in a blender.
- Blend into a coarse or fine powder.
- Add honey to the blender.
- Add curd.
- Blend all the ingredients together into a paste.
Directions for use:
- Apply the face pack on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Apply this face pack at night before you go to sleep and wash off. Do not use any soap or toner after washing the pack off. Just wash it with water and go to bed for benefiting from this mask.