Fenugreek seeds are an excellent source of nutrition for hair growth. These seeds can be used both for external application (as a hair mask) and for consuming internally.
Although the leaves of fenugreek are nutritious and have a variety of benefits, in this article we focus more on the topical uses of fenugreek seeds for hair.
Below are some suggestions on using fenugreek seeds for various hair problems.
Simple fenugreek hair mask:
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds overnight in water.
- The next morning, blend it well with little (50 – 100 ml) of buttermilk.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and hair.
- Keep it on for at least 20 minutes and then wash off with your usual shampoo.
It might take a little while to get this mask off when you wash your hair because of its texture. First wash with water and then use shampoo to get it off properly.
This hair mask will result in silky and soft hair. Follow this once every week and you can find visible difference in the hair volume. It also helps to reduce hair fall.
Fenugreek and eggs mask
- For medium length hair, take two eggs (the yolk and the white of the egg) and beat it up nicely.
- Add fenugreek seeds powder to this and mix well.
- Add two teaspoon olive oil and mix again.
- Leave it to soak for an hour.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair till the tip.
- Keep the mask for half an hour.
- Wash it off in cold or warm water. (Do not use hot water when washing off any egg mask)
- Follow with your usual shampoo.
This is a great conditioner and is a remedy for hair fall and thinning.
Hibiscus and fenugreek mask – anti-dandruff treatment
- Soak hibiscus leaves and a handful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight.
- The next morning, blend these well till you get a smooth paste.
- Add two teaspoons of olive oil (fenugreek seeds may cause dry hair for some – olive oil offsets this and conditions hair well)
- Mix and apply from scalp to tip.
- Leave it on for half an hour and then rinse with your usual shampoo.
This is a proven treatment to get rid of dandruff. You could also add some lemon juice to this mask. Apply once a week for three to four weeks to begin noticing results.
To reduce body heat and to promote hair growth
- Chop 5 curry leaves into small pieces.
- Take a handful of fenugreek seeds and chopped curry leaves.
- Soak these in a glass of milk and add little buttermilk / yoghurt to this milk.
- Leave it overnight.
- The next morning, you will get fenugreek seeds and curry leaves that are well soaked in freshly formed curd.
- Mix once and drink on an empty stomach. (Chew the curry leaves and fenugreek seeds when you drink)
This is an excellent remedy to cool the body and to also promote hair growth. The curry leaves and fenugreek work together to supply the necessary calcium and iron and boost hair growth. Just a simple search on the internet would reveal that fenugreek seeds are a powerhouse for iron. And as we know, iron is crucial for hair growth.
You can try other hair masks with fenugreek too. Based on what suits you best you could stick to that remedy.