We believe in the old Tamil age adage that says “Unave marunthu” which means “Food is medicine”. All the essential nutrition that is required for a healthy life are available in the herbs that are easily available around us. Here is a weekly plan for incorporating essential herbs into our daily diet. With these natural herbal remedies, you’d be able to wade off any health issue that has plans of coming your way!
Monday – Bermuda grass
Bermuda grass (Known as Arugampul in Tamil) is a grass like plant that grows in almost every climate. This grass has been used for centuries to cure skin diseases, to reduce weight, to cure diabetes and for overall health. Most often, the fresh juice is used for optimum benefit.
The recipe suggested here is a herbal tea made using Bermuda grass. Find the steps below:
- Take 1 cup of cleaned Bermuda grass.
- Chop it into small pieces.
- Boil 250 ml of water.
- Add the chopped grass to boiling water and allow it to boil further for about 5 minutes.
- Switch off.
- Strain and drink the tea. You can add a teaspoon palm sugar or honey to enhance its taste.
Drink this tea daily on an empty stomach.
Tuesday – Cumin seeds (Jeera)
Cumin seeds can help to improve digestion, to cure gastritis and heart burn, stomach pain, cough, and piles. Cumin seeds can be added to recipes, in roasted form or in powdered form. Follow the below recipe:
- Take 250 ml of water in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds to boiling water.
- Allow the water to boil till the quantity reduces in half.
- Drink this concoction daily – preferable an hour after dinner.
This concoction can also help those who are looking to lose weight.
Wednesday – Hibiscus (Sembaruthi)
Hibiscus or Shoe flower is a flower that grows well in tropical regions and has various medicinal properties.
When used topically on hair, it can help to stop loss of hair, improve hair growth and can cool the body. When consumed internally, it can cure and prevent mouth ulcers, improve hemoglobin levels, can improve urination and cure pain during urination, cure heart problems and strengthen the heart, improve skin tone and dullness and can also cure problems relating to menstruation.
Here is the recipe:
- Take two hibiscus flowers (Flowers with 5 petals in red) and wash then.
- Take out the petals.
- Add one cardamom pod and 1 teaspoon palm sugar to 400 ml water.
- Add the hibiscus flowers to the water.
- Boil the water well – till the water reduces to half.
Drink this hibiscus tea regularly for overall health. This tea is especially beneficial to women.
Thursday – Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
Coriander leaves can cure a various problems including UTI (Urinary tract infection), a condition of weak heart, digestion related issues, premature greying, diarrhea, nausea, GERD and heart burn, dizziness and excessive salivation. Make a drink using coriander leaves following the steps below:
- Take 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
- Add a tablespoon of grated coconut.
- Pour 100 ml to this mixture.
- Add 1 cardamom pod and palm sugar.
- Grind all the above ingredients together into a smoothie.
Drink this once daily for good digestions and to cool down the body. This drink can also be given to kids for their overall health.
Friday – Brahmi (If not available, use Gotu Kola)
Brahmi or Neer Brahmi is a miracle herb that can cure a variety of nervous disorders. You can make a herbal tea using the leaves of Brahmi and drink it twice a week to prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s, dementia, varicose veins and keep the body youthful.
Steps to make Brahmi tea:
- Boil 200 ml water in a pan.
- Add 2 tablespoons of chopped Brahmi leaves.
- Allow the leaves to boil in water for about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of jaggery or palm sugar to the water and stir.
- Strain well and the tea is done.
Saturday – Amla (Indian gooseberry)
Amla or Indian gooseberry is a storehouse of Vitamin C and can be good for building immunity, healthy skin, hair and overall health. Amla can improve respiratory health and prevent common cold and flu due to the presence of anti-oxidants and excellent vitamin C levels.
Amla can also cure diabtes when consumed along with turmeric.
Sunday – Tender coconut
Take 250 ml of tender coconut water. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt to tender coconut water and stir well. Drink this water in the morning. You can drink it half an hour before breakfast.
This tender coconut water has the below key benefits for health:
- It can cool down the body.
- This is extremely good for those with bad cholesterol levels and heart diseases. Tender coconut water can reduce chances of blocks in the heart and can control cholesterol levels.
- Tender coconut acts as a natural detox drink and can flush out toxins from the body.
- It can improve sperm count and is hence also a health drink for sexual health.
- Tender coconut water can reduce menstrual pain and can also help to regulate the flow.
In addition to all the above, drink lots of water daily. You can drink water from a copper vessel for enhanced benefits.