What is Asthma?
Asthma is a respiratory disorder in which the affected patient may suffer from multiple wheezing attacks or may feel breathless. Based on the severity, the patient may undergo levels of distress. Asthma can be kept under control with proper medical treatment. However, using herbal remedies will help you to find a cure slowly and with no side effects.
Some key triggers of asthma are dust, pollen ad mould. Pollution could also cause wheezing attacks in some due to the presence for excessive pollutants and allergy causing chemicals.
- Severe or multiple attacks of wheezing.
- Higher pulse rate.
- Breathlessness or severe cough.
Herbal remedies for Asthma
Garlic and milk treatment
Garlic has excellent effects in curing Asthma and can be used along with a few other ingredients to derive better benefit.
- Boil milk in a vessel.
- Peel a few cloves of garlic.
- Add it to the boiling milk.
- After 5 – 6 minutes, switch off.
- Allow the garlic to be in the boiling milk for at least 30 minutes.
- Chew on the garlic cloves and drink the milk.
You can continue this remedy once a day and this is a beneficial treatment for reducing the symptoms of asthma.
Garlic and honey remedy
As you could see from the above treatment, garlic has significant impact in reducing asthma symptoms.
- Peel one garlic.
- Blend the garlic cloves well adding very little water.
- Strain to get the garlic extract.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to this extract and after adding some water to dilute it, drink it once a day.
This remedy is a little strong and I advise you to consult with your doctor if you are currently undergoing treatment for any ailment.
Tulasi and honey remedy
The holy basil (Tulasi) is an effective herb for all respiratory ailments. The properties of tulasi have been found effective in the treatment of common cold, bronchitis, asthma and many other respiratory problems.
- Take 15 – 20 leaves of tulasi (Holy basil)
- Hand crush the tulasi leaves.
- Grate some ginger.
- In a vessel, boil 300 ml of water.
- Add the grated ginger and the crushed leaves.
- Allow it to boil for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Once the water cools down a bit, strain to get a thick decoction.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the tulasi decoction and drink this once a day.
Dried holy basil leaf powder is available in many organic stores. You could also use these to make the decoction if fresh leaves aren’t available. But these wouldn’t be that effective.
Asafoetida (Hing) is very effective in treatment of asthma. While this ingredient is an important part of everyday cooking in certain cuisines such as Indian, other than this, you can use asafoetida to make the below preparation.
Make a chest rub using asafoetida, camphor and oil. Blend it to make a paste (a stone grinder or a mortar would be the best choice to make this) and apply the paste on your chest and back twice a day for good relief.
Betel and ginger remedy
- Take two leaves of betel and a one inch piece of ginger.
- In a mortar, grind the betel leaf and ginger along with a couple of peppercorns. Add little water if needed.
- In a vessel, boil water and add this ground paste. Allow it to boil for a good five minutes.
- Switch off and strain to get a thick decoction.
- Add little honey or palm sugar and drink this once or twice a day.
Apart from the above remedies, a few lifestyle changes will be required for you to successfully control asthma.
Always keep your inhaler handy.
Lifestyle changes and precautions
- Make Pranayama and gentle breathing exercises part of your routine.
- Do not do vigorous exercises but moderate and brisk exercises are good.
- Reduce stress through meditation.
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid cold drinks including frozen yogurt, lemon juice and ice creams.
- Take an allergy test and avoid those as much as possible.
- Check if you are allergic to dust or pollution and take relevant precautionary measures.
- If you have pets in your house, keep them free of insects and also do not pet them too much.
- Keep your home clean, dust free and free from spider webs.
When should you go to the doctor?
If the symptoms get severe, if the wheezing is intense or you feel your pulse rate is rising above your normal. If you find excessive difficulty in breathing, do not overthink or wait – go to the doctor.
All said and done, these remedies may work for some and may not work for others. Do not resort to very intense treatments. Keep them simple, mild and slowly include these remedies into your diet.