Conjunctivitis also called as pink eye is a type of eye infection. It is unpleasant and causes eyes to become inflamed, sore and crusted. Viral infection is the most common cause of pink eye. Bacterial infection is the second most common cause for this problem. It can easily spread from person to person, so be careful when someone suffers with conjunctivitis.
Symptoms of pink eye
- Continuous and increased amount of tears
- Green or white discharge from the eye
- Blurred vision
- Burning and itchy eyes
- Redness in the white of the eye
- Thick yellow discharge that covered over the eyelashes after sleep
- Increased sensitivity to light
Home remedies to cure conjunctivitis
Tulsi contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and anti-viral properties, which works well in healing the eye infection. Consumption of tulsi juice is also beneficial for good vision.
As a word of caution, women who are trying to conceive should avoid consuming Tulsi, as might cause some issues.
- Take 10 fresh tulsi leaves.
- Soak the leaves in boiled water.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water.
- Wash your eyes with the filtered water.
You can also soak a clean wash cloth in the water and use it as a warm compress.
Breast milk is one of the best home remedy for conjunctivitis. Breast milk treats all the three type of infections – fungal, bacterial and viral. An antibody in breast milk called immunoglobulin A, prevents mucosal surface of the eye from pink eye bacteria, also limits the growth of the bacteria and helps to end the eye infection.
- Take a clean spoon.
- Squeeze few drops of breast milk on the spoon.
- Place 2 drops on the surface of the each eye.
- Lift your eyelid slightly to help the breast milk to circulate.
- Continue the same process thrice in a day.
Tea bags are full of herb that contains bioflavonoid and anti-bacterial element called tannin. Tannins are naturally occurring plant Polyphenols which reduces swelling, pain, puffiness and infection in the affected area. The bioflavonoid and antioxidant properties in black tea fight against bacterial and viral infections.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Put two tea bags in the boiled water.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags.
- Cool them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Place the cold tea bag over your eyes.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
Repeat the same process thrice in a day to get the best results.
Aloe vera gel
Aloe vera contains powerful anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties that work well in curing pink eyes.
- Take a fresh aloe vera leaf.
- Cut and squeeze the gel.
- Mix one tablespoon of aloe vera gel in cool water.
- Wash your eyes with this mixture or Put few drops of this mixture in the affected eye.
- Lemon juice
- Aloe vera gel
- Palm sugar
- Take fresh aloe vera gel.
- Add few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Add palm sugar and mix well.
- Add water and dilute it.
Drink this mixture once a day for three days to get relief from conjunctivitis.
Calendula contains powerful healing effect both internally and externally. It is one of the best anti-viral and anti-bacterial herbs on the planet. The anti-inflammatory property in calendula soothes eye irritation and cures pink eyes.
- Take two teaspoon dried calendula flowers.
- Steep in a cup of hot water.
- Allow it to become cool.
- Strain the solution.
- Wash your eyes with this mixture several times a day.
- Or dip cotton ball when it is hot and use it as hot compress.
Honey has anti-inflammatory property that cures several problems related to eyes such as itchy eyes, eye infection, pink eye, and dry eyes. The flavonoids in honey can heal the eye lens and improve vision. Osmotic property in honey can cure all type of eye infections.
- Take equal part of raw honey and distilled water.
- Mix it well.
- Squeeze 2 to 3 drops in each eye.
Repeat this process thrice in a day.
- Take equal part of raw honey and warm milk.
- Mix it well and make a solution.
- Dip cotton ball and apply the solution on your eyes.
- Or use it as a compress on your eyes.
Crape jasmine (Nandiyavattai)
Crape jasmine is excellent remedy for conjunctivitis.
- Take a few crape jasmine flowers.
- Soak it in distilled water overnight.
- Strain the water in the morning.
- Wash your eyes by using this water.
- Also take soaked flower and place over your eyes for 10 to 15 minutes.
The anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory properties in coriander leaves can treat all eye related problems.
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves juice
- ¾ cup Butter milk
- Take fresh coriander leaves.
- Grind them and extract the juice.
- Add coriander juice with butter milk.
- Add salt for taste.
Consume this drink twice a day for better relief.
- Put one or two drops of castor oil in your eyes.
- Apply few drops of castor oil on your big toes.
Prevention is better than cure.
- Never share your towels, wash cloths or eye cosmetics.
- Change your pillow frequently.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Clean your contacts thoroughly.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes.
- Use goggle while swimming.
- Do not use lemon juice directly on your eyes as a cure.
- If you are staying in polluted area, close doors and windows during the day.