The scalp is the outer area of the head, excluding the face from where the hair grows. The scalp has five different layers. Different types of nerves are connected to the scalp by innervation. The scalp is made of arteries, veins, nerves and lymph. A lot of times many experience a condition commonly referred to as itchy scalp. We try and explore the causes and home remedies for itchy scalp.
Itchy scalp is generally due to unhygienic maintenance of the hair, high levels of humidity, allowing dust to gather on the hair, and so on. While this condition can be reversed by better cleaning, itchiness surfaces due to many other reasons. Some of them are, formation of dandruff, dryness in the scalp, growth of lice on the head, seborrheic dermatitis, eczema (viral or fungus infection), psoriasis, work stress and sebaceous cysts in the scalp.
Itchy scalp may lead to hair loss. It is not only an uncomfortable health condition but also an embarrassment when in company.
The anatomy of the scalp explains various layers in the scalp and their functions. When the itch in the scalp is to be treated, it is to be analyzed with great care to find out which of the causes contribute to the problem and the extent to which the particular cause is responsible. It is the doctor who decides on the causes and treatment of the itchy scalp.
Home remedies for itchy scalp
However, before meeting a doctor there are simple home remedies that may be administered to get rid of the itch in the scalp.
It is a simple remedy by which a little amount of coconut oil is rubbed on the scalp after washing the hair.
- Apply the oil with your fingertips massaging gently.
- Allow it to remain for about half an hour.
- Wash with perfume free shampoo.
Carry out the treatment for two to three weeks to cure itchy scalp.
Note: Warming up the coconut oil before rubbing might produce better results.
Antiseptic properties in lemon is well known. You can cure itchy scalp on account of dandruff by applying lemon juice on the scalp.
- Apply lemon juice on the scalp using a cotton ball.
- Wash with shampoo after ten minutes.
If the itch is not due to dandruff, you can dilute the lemon juice with water and then apply to the scalp. Mixing yogurt with lemon juice and then applying on the scalp, followed by shampoo wash also is a good remedy.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is an anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent.
- Take about ten drops of tea tree oil.
- Dilute it with baby shampoo or vegetable oil.
- Apply this mix to the scalp daily for two weeks for total relief from itchy scalp.
This treatment is more helpful when the scalp is itchy and also dry.
Smashing bananas and applying it on the scalp relieves the itch. The flakes, inflammation and dryness in the scalp are removed by the banana mash. Banana and avocado mix also make the hair smooth and condition it in addition to removing the itch. In both the cases, the mash must be allowed to remain on the scalp for about 30 minutes and then cleaned with soft water.
Apple cider vinegar
The anti-inflammatory property in apple cider vinegar kills the virus and yeast that cause itchy scalp. ACV also has the property to balance the ph. levels due to which the itch in the scalp is cured. The process of cleaning your scalp with ACV is simple.
- Clean the scalp and hairs and allow them to dry.
- Apply a mixture of equal parts of vinegar and water to the scalp with the use of a cotton ball.
- It can also be sprayed from a spray bottle.
- After a few minutes, clean with shampoo and water.
By repeating this exercise once in three days, you can cure the itchy scalp condition.
Aloe Vera has excellent moisturizing properties.
- Take a fresh aloe leaf.
- Scrap a tablespoon of aloe gel using a spoon or a knife.
- Spread the raw aloe vera pulp on the scalp using your fingers.
- Allow it to remain on the scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with soft water and you will notice the itchiness is gone completely.
If raw aloe vera pulp is not available, you can source aloe vera gel from markets easily.
Baking soda paste
- Make a paste of baking soda by mixing it with water.
- Spread a few drops of olive oil over the scalp for better absorption of the paste.
- Apply the paste on the scalp.
- Leave it for around 10 to 15 minutes and wash off. (You can do this before your bath)
Follow this process everyday for about two weeks to cure itchy scalp.
Before attempting to use any of the remedies it is necessary to know that itchy scalp may be due to overuse or use of certain hair products. In that case, stop their use before commencing treatment.