For years, people in various parts of the world have been using a simpleton green known as Balloon vine in English and Mudakathan in Tamil for its various uses. This plant can be found in the road sides of villages and cities alike. It grows wildly even in small spaces and is hence easy to find. This green or herb has multiple uses. The leaves and stem can cure joint pain, rheumatism, arthritis, gout, diarrhea, skin conditions such as eczema when applied externally and many more ailments. For kids, this green can improve vision, cure body pain due to excessive activity and constipation.
Let us now come to the part where Balloon vine is used for join pain and arthritis treatment.
For those who require proof through research, it can be pointed out that a study conducted in Australia showed that Mudakathan Keerai showed the ability to dissolve the uric acid build up in the joints. The properties present in Balloon vine flushes out the uric acid through urine naturally. This uric acid build up is the leading cause of arthritis and for this reason Balloon vine is an excellent remedy for joint pain. The roots of the plant has also found its use in natural medicine by curing problems like constipation, piles or hemorrhoids and so on.
The leaves of Mudakathan have a mild bitter taste and hence directly chewing them could be difficult. There are various ways to consume Balloon wine leaves and their stem. One popular way is to add the cleaned leaves to dosa batter and make Mudakathan dosas. Another way is to make a herbal tea or a concoction and drink that regularly (everyday).
Cumin seeds – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Cuminum cyminum
- English – Cumin seeds
- Hindi – Jeera
- Sanskrit – Jiraka
- Malayalam – Jeerakam
- Bengali – Jeera
- Tamil – Jeeragam
- Kannada – Jeerige
- Telugu – Jeelakari
Cloves – Names in other languages
- Scientific name – Syzygium aromaticum
- English – Clove
- Hindi – Laung
- Sanskrit – Lavangaha
- Malayalam – Grambu
- Bengali – Labango
- Tamil – Krambu
- Kannada – Lavangapattai
- Telugu – Lavangam
Here is a simple recipe with fresh Mudakathan leaves that you can make at home to find a cure for arthritis.
Mudakathan concoction (Kashayam) to cure Arthritis – Home remedy
- 15-20 leaves Balloon vine (Known as Mudakathan in Tamil)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2-3 pieces Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds (Known as Jeera in India)
- 300 ml Water
- Mudakathan (Balloon vine)leaves, Cloves, salt, Cumin seeds and water are required to make this concoction. Wash and clean mudakathan leaves before you begin.
- Take 1 teaspoon of Sesame oil in a pan. You can use olive oil if sesame oil is not available.
- Add a tablespoon of cumin seeds to hot oil and let the seeds splutter.
- Add the chopped leaves.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt or even less depending on your taste,
- Add cloves. You can also crush cloves and add for a better flavour.
- Saute all ingredients together for less than a minute.
- Pour water.
- Allow the ingredients to boil in water for at least 4 – 5 minutes and then switch off.
- Pour into a bowl and drink while the concoction is still hot. Chew on the leaves!
Consume this concoction (Kashayam) everyday after any meal.
Continue for at least a month for good results.