Hair grows all over the human body externally barring the glabrous skin like in the palm or lips or sole of the feet. Hair do not grow on the mucus membrane too. Hair is a biomaterial made of a particular type of protein called keratin which is responsible for growth of the nails also.
A number of textures of hair are found in different individuals. The textures differ in curl pattern, color, consistency and quantity or volume. Most of the people, men and women, have common and special interest in their hair growth, quality and style and take special care in nourishing them.
Based on the type of pigment, the color of the hair become black, brown, red, grey or blond. While the hairs grow all over the body in many places it is so fine making it invisible.
Both men and women are concerned about the hair growth and its maintenance only on the face and head.
It is estimated that there about one hundred thousand to one hundred and fifty thousand hairs grow on the head and each day one loses about one hundred of them.
Men and women have different patterns of hair loss. A particular form of hair loss called telogen effluvium is known as hair thinning. Women are more prone to hair thinning particularly during pregnancy and after the delivery of the child.
Types of hair growth
The hair growth is classified into three types. They are:
- Growth of hair in an active phase and lasting to stay for about two to three years. This is called Anagen.
- Growth of hairs which lasts about only two to three weeks are called Catagen and
- There is another type called resting phase of hair growth where the hair rests for about two or three months. After shedding of the old hair, new hair grows. This type of growth is called Telogen.
What is the reason for hair thinning?
It is the telogen type of hair growth and fall that causes hair thinning called telogen effluvium.
Hair thinning or hair loss occur due to many reasons including genetic factors, aging, tightening of hairs into bundles, curling of hairs artificially, frequent use of chemical shampoos etc.
Genetic hair fall is peculiar for males and females, called male-pattern and female-pattern hair loss. Genetic condition in male pattern hair loss can occur even in a young age, mostly fore head baldness.
Causes of general hair thinning or loss are many including, genes, hormones, consumption of drugs, child birth, certain illness, cosmetic treatment of hair for beautification etc. Deficiency in nutrients in take through food, environmental pollution, certain allergic conditions and even emotional stress are factors that accelerate hair fall.
Home and natural remedies are attempted across world population to stop or decrease hair thinning.
Remedies for hair thinning
Some of the remedies are:
- Application of castor oil on the scalp regularly prevents hair fall. As castor oil is very thick in comparison to other oils, it prevents falling of follicles.
- Egg mixed with grape seed oil or lavender oil or yogurt and used as scalp mask at least once in a month provide good results both in preventing hair thinning and thickening of the hair.
- Henna leaf powder can be made into a paste by mixing with water and applied on the scalp and allowed to rest for 30 minutes and then shampoo washed for the twin benefit of improving the hair color and reducing the hair fall at a time.
- Application of coconut oil extract by mixing with Indian goose berry.
- Application and consumption of flax seed extract is an effective remedy because of omega 3 fatty acids and protein present in it.
- Paste of fenugreek powder with water can be applied well to the scalp and retained for about half an hour and then rinsing with warm water
- Olive oil application also prevents hair fall besides strengthening the roots
- Aloe Vera gel (raw) may be applied on the scalp and allowed to rest for half an hour and then rinsed with warm water
- Use of coconut oil regularly as hair oil is bound to strengthen the hair and prevent hair loss due to the presence of iron and other vitamins and protein in the oil.
- Use of avocado helps in promotion of the health of the hair due to vitamin E present in it.
- Massaging of the hair with natural oils during bath time enhances the blood circulation in the scalp and strengthen the roots and prevent hair fall.
- Consumption of food which contains good amount of protein and B vitamins regularly is a preventive measure against hair thinning.
- Leading a stress free life is as important as external applications and food consumption to prevent hair thinning.
- Hair care methods, like removing the knots with a comb gently without uprooting bunches of hair, massaging the hair with natural applications regularly, flipping the hair upside down periodically for faster growth are useful tips.