What are oral ulcers?
Mouth ulcers or oral ulcers are ulcers that occur in the mouth, throat, or tongue. These occur in many people. Sometimes it could be the reason for some underlying complication mostly in the digestive system. Intestinal worms, peptic ulcer, or any other such issue.
Symptoms of oral ulcers
Oral ulcers go away by themselves in a few days or in a week. But many are frequently affected by oral ulcers and this makes chewing, swallowing, or even talking difficult.
Coconut and turmeric
Coconut milk has healing properties that can cure various internal wounds and so it is considered as good for the mouth ulcer. It can heal oral ulcers and has a lot of nutrition as well.
- Grate a coconut with a coconut grater.
- Squeeze the coconut gratings to get milk.
- Apply a little coconut milk on the ulcers.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the coconut milk, stir and drink.
Coconut and Garlic
- Grind coconut into a thick paste.
- Grind garlic along with coconut paste once again.
- Apply this paste on the mouth ulcers. Repeat every hour or so.
This has excellent healing properties and you will find relief in a day or two. Do not forget to apply the paste before you go to bed.
Ghee can cure mouth ulcers. Just dab a little pure ghee (made by melting unsalted butter) on the ulcers. Keep repeating every hour. It will soothe the pain and will slowly cure it.
Salt water for mouth ulcers
Saltwater has properties that can cure infections. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and healing properties. Rinse your mouth with warm saltwater. Rinse every two hours. If you have ulcers in your throat, gargle with the saltwater – gently.
Amla (Indian gooseberry) remedies
- De-seed two amlas (Indian gooseberry) fruits.
- Grind with a grinding stone.
- Add two drops of honey to the amla paste.
- Apply it on the ulcers and keep it on for some time.
- Spanish jasmine (Also known as Royal jasmine) leaves can be used in the treatment.
- Soak some Spanish jasmine leaves in water for an hour.
- Blend the leaves along with water, a teaspoon of turmeric, and a few drops of honey.
Rinse your mouth with this juice to naturally treat mouth ulcers.
Riboflavin deficiency is an important cause of mouth ulcers and it is advisable to regularly consume Vegetables and other foods that are rich in riboflavin. While this preventive, to treat mouth ulcers, you can consume a mouth ulcer supplement for a day or two.
Some of the foods rich in riboflavin are milk, mushrooms, spinach, yogurt, almonds, and tomatoes.
Milk and turmeric
Turmeric is a natural remedy for many problems – the curcumin in turmeric can heal such ulcers and is beneficial for overall health.
- Boil some milk and allow it to cool down a bit – till it becomes warm and drinkable.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to the milk and stir.
- Before bed each day take this drink.
This can cure mouth ulcers, sore throat and even cough.
Onion jaggery remedy for mouth ulcers
- Crush some onions and get the juice.
- Powder some jaggery and mix it along with the onion juice.
- Consume it and slowly chew on it.
This combination acts as a natural remedy and helps you get rid of ulcers.
Although all these remedies are available and they do work, it is important that you address the underlying reason for mouth ulcers (if they regularly occur). It could also be because of excessive body heat. Drink lots of water, have watermelon juice, drink tender coconut water, give yourself a sesame oil scalp massage and drink some aloe vera juice. All these help to cool down the body and will slowly help to reduce the occurrence of mouth ulcers and after a few weeks, you will slowly get rid of these ulcers.
Anderson, A. M., Mitchell, M. S. & Mohan, R. S., 2000. Isolation of Curcumin from Turmeric. 1 March.
Brocklehurst, P., Tickle, M., Glenny, A.-M. & Lewis, M. A., 2012. Systemic interventions for recurrent aphthous stomatitis (mouth ulcers). s.l.:Cochrane Library.
Chetwyand, E. M. & Ives, T. J., 2002. Fluconazole for Postpartum Candidal Mastitis and Infant Thrush. Journal of Human Lactation, 18(2).
Liu, Y., Zhao, X. & Zou, L., 2013. Effect of high hydrostatic pressure on overall quality parameters of watermelon juice. Food Science and Technology International, 19(3).
Martin, K., 2016. Salt water gargle. United States, Patent No. US20160346322A1.