What is sinusitis?
Simply put, sinusitis is a condition in which the sinus in the nose gets inflamed causing infections such as common cold, flu and related symptoms. This is common in those who have a smaller nasal passage where the mucous membrane gets inflamed.
Simple home remedies to treat sinusitis
While many go for surgery, this condition can be brought under control using simple home remedies. But whatever remedy you decide to go for, remember to follow it regularly for at least 48 days. These are not instant cures but help a lot in the long run.
Garlic is the best and most effective remedy for sinusitis.
- Take 2-4 big garlic cloves.
- Crush them well.
- Add two teaspoons of honey to the crushed cloves, mix and eat.
Those who like garlic can practice this remedy even twice a day. You can also just chew on raw garlic cloves.
If the taste of garlic repels you, then I suggest you cook garlic cloves in a cup of milk and chew on these cooked cloves. Also drink the milk so that you don’t lose the nutrition.
Garlic softgel capsules are also available which is the last choice if none of the above methods suit you.
Black pepper remedy
- Take a teaspoon of black peppercorns.
- Saute this in pure ghee for less than a minute.
- Dry grind this.
- You can eat this powder once a day with milk or with water.
In some Indian households, this powder is mixed with hot rice and consumed. It is both tasty and healthy.
Dry ginger, black pepper and long pepper remedy
This remedy is an age old one and has been used for relief from various respiratory problems.
- Take a handful of black pepper corns and equal quantities of long pepper and dry ginger.
- Dry grind all the three together.
- Add a teaspoon full of this to hot water and stir till it dissolves well.
- You can also add a teaspoon of honey and mix.
- Drink this twice a day.
Nowadays you get this mixed powder in various organic and herbal remedies shop. So if you do not have time, you can try to get that.
- Add a little camphor to boiling hot water.
- Inhale the steam for 6 – 10 minutes.
- The steam and camphor act well to relieve nasal congestion and any headache due to the sinus condition.
You can also add some crushed Tulasi (holy basil) leaves to the water before inhalation.
Indian borage works wonders to relieve common cold. This leaf can also be used as a prevention.
Just chew on two fresh Indian borage leaves everyday.
This plant grows easily, is low maintenance and can be part of your kitchen garden.
Turmeric and honey
Curcumin in turmeric has remedial effect on various respiratory illnesses.
- Grate a one inch piece of fresh turmeric.
- Boil this turmeric in 200 ml of milk.
- Once the turmeric blends well with the milk, switch off.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and stir.
- Drink this milk everyday night before bed. (Drink when hot or warm)
- Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Mix this with one teaspoon of honey and make it into a paste.
- Consume this paste twice daily – once in the morning and once before dinner.
This remedy can also help to cure eosinophilia.
- Peel and slice one onion roughly.
- Blend it well.
- Strain well to get the juice.
- Add a little honey or palm sugar, stir and drink 40 ml of this juice once or twice daily depending on the severity of your condition.
Also include onions generously in your everyday diet.
Simple life style changes
- Proper sleep is essential to treat sinusitis condition. Ensure you get a good night’s sleep of at least 7 hours each day.
- Drink lots of water. (Preferable warm water)
- Avoid refrigerated foods. Even if you leave it outside the refrigerator for some time and then consume it, any refrigerated food is still harmful.
- Those with severe cases of sinusitis should avoid chocolates and cocoa based foods as much as possible.
- Avoid using strong perfumes and deodrants as these may cause sneezing or allergies leading to a cold.
- Always protect yourself from pollution, dust or mites to reduce the possibility of allergies.