Pregnancy is a happy but trying time for every woman. One among the many problems that a pregnant woman goes through is nausea or morning sickness. Only that it is just not in the morning that one feels sick!
The common pregnancy symptoms are,
- Missed period
- Breast Tenderness
- Increased urination
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Food aversion or cravings
Morning sickness is very common especially during the early stage of pregnancy. Though it is an uncomfortable feeling, it is definitely not harmful to the mother or the baby.
Generally, the nausea will be higher during the morning hours or after food.
To manage nausea or morning sickness
Remedy using cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds powder
- 2 tsp ghee
- A pinch of salt
- Take cumin seeds powder, add ghee and salt and mix.
- Roll the mix into small balls and take this 2 times a day – morning and evening.
Slowly vomiting sensation will come down and your appetite will get better.
Remedy using curry leaves
- Curry leaves juice
- Lemon Juice
- Sugar for taste
- Take 2 tsp curry leaves juice.
- Add 1 tsp lemon juice and little sugar for taste.
- Drink this juice twice a day.
Remedy using cloves
- Take 2 cloves.
- Grind them well into a rough powder.
- Boil it in water for a few minute.
- Strain to get the extract – similar to a tea.
This tea will reduce nausea to a great extent. Cloves are rich in calcium, magnesium, dietary fibre, Iron and Potassium also contain sodium and vitamin B6.
Remedy using puffed rice porridge
- Boil water in a vessel.
- Add puffed rice to the water.
- Add salt for taste and stir continuously to make a simple porridge.
1 cup of puffed rice contains 91% carbohydrates, 2% fat, and 7% protein. It is high in fibre and low in sugar. Regular consumption of this porridge reduces nausea and gives you better appetite.
Remedy using dry ginger
- Dry ginger 50g
- 1 teaspoon liquorice powder
- Grind dry ginger into a fine powder.
- Add liquorice powder and honey.
- Mix well.
- Eat a teaspoon of this twice a day.
All the three ingredients used in this preparation have the property of curing nausea.
Red raspberry leaf tea
Red raspberry leaf contains nutrients including iron, vitamins B and C and magnesium. The nutrient demand is high in pregnant women during the second and third trimesters. This tea can help to meet the nutrition needs as well.
- 4 cups of dried organic red raspberry
- 1 cup of dried alfalfa leaf
- 1 cup of dried nettle leaf
- ½ cup dried dandelion leaf
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in an air tight container.
- As and when needed, take 8 ounces of hot water and mix 1 tablespoon of the tea mixture.
- Leave it for at least 5 minutes before drinking.
Nettle leaf is good for digestion. Dandelion is good for blood pressure, urinary problems and helps with digestion.
Remedy using mint leaves
- Take a handful mint leaves.
- Boil them in water.
- Inhale the steam to get relief from nausea.
- Take 1 tsp mint leaves juice, ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp honey and a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Mix all these and drink two times a day to get good relief.
Remedy using coconut milk
- 100 ml coconut milk
- Little sugar
- A pinch cardamom powder or rose petals
- Mix the three ingredients and stir well.
- Drink this to control nausea and heartburn.
These are all simple home remedies for nausea based on the principles of Ayurveda. If you are vomiting continuously, drink lemon or any other fruit juice to keep you well hydrated.
Take good rest and follow these simple tips to be healthy during pregnancy.