Olive oil is the fat obtained from an olive tree. The essential nutrients resent in olive oil are energy, fat, carbohydrates, fatty acids, vitamins E and K. Olive oil is rich in antioxidants that prevent the skin from aging. Vitamin E is good for dry and dehydrated skin. Vitamin K helps to take away stretch marks, scars, and dark circles under the eyes.
Benefits of olive oil for skin health
Acne is a common skin problem. It may form blackheads, whiteheads, and pustules. Acne mainly occurs in the late teens or in the early twenties. Although the root cause of acne is primarily hormonal changes, the topical application of natural ingredients such as olive oil can help to reduce and cure the condition.
- 3 teaspoons Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Sea salt
- Make a paste by mixing olive oil and salt.
- Wash your face before applying the paste.
- Apply the mixture on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for five to ten minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
Repeat the process daily to see an improvement.
Eczema is inflammation and a painful condition of the skin. Eczema is also called atopic dermatitis which makes your skin red and itchy. It is very common in children. It affects both men and women and may begin in the 1st week or months of life. Sometimes it vanishes in childhood and is likely to come back during the teen years.
Olive oil is beneficial in treating eczema.
- ½ cup pure coconut oil
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix coconut oil, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar together.
- Stir well.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Use this as a garnish for salads and you can store the remaining in a refrigerator. Warm the mixture before using it.
It helps in reducing inflammation and softens the skin. The nutrients of vitamin E and fatty acids prevents skin from dryness.
Psoriasis is a common inflammatory skin disorder typically described by patches of abnormal skin. The patches are usually red, itchy, and scaly. It creates swelling and stiffness in the joints. The simple home remedy with olive oil is here to treat psoriasis.
- Take extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply on psoriasis affected area.
- Do a gentle massage and leave it on.
Repeat the process regularly to see better results.
- Take equal quantities of olive oil and tea tree oil.
- Mix both and heat until it becomes a warm condition.
- Apply on the affected skin.
- Leave it on for some time and wash off.
- Wipe with a soft towel or cloth.
Improves skin health
- ½ cup curd
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Make a thick solution.
- Apply this solution on your face and neck.
- Leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
Repeat the process once a week. The essential nutrient of vitamin E in olive oil heals acne, inflammation, and protects from other skin problems.
Ichthyosis simply means the continual and widespread dryness and scaling of the skin. It is considered a genetic disorder. The common symptoms are dry skin, blistering, redness, and excessive skin shedding.
Follow the below methods to reduce the symptoms of ichthyosis.
- Olive oil
- Take half a cup of sugar and add olive oil.
- Stir well.
- Gently massage with this mixture all over the body.
- Leave it on for some time and wash off with your usual soap and water. You can also use besan to wash your face.
Sugar acts as a scrub and oil moisturizes the skin.
Rosacea causes swelling, pain, dryness, and itchiness on the skin. Olive leaf extract or fresh juices are the best remedies for rosacea.
Olive leaf juice – method:
- Take fresh olive leaves.
- Put it in a blender or juicer.
- Add water and blend well.
- Fresh olive juice is ready to drink.
It boosts our immune system that helps in reducing tenderness and irritation on the skin.
Scabies is caused by a microscopic mite. It develops itching, rashes, redness, and pain on the skin. Scabies spreads from person to person and is not a genetic disease. It can be controlled and treated with the help of olive oil.
- Take a cup of olive oil.
- Add 8 to 10 drops of clove oil.
- Mix well.
- Apply on the affected areas.
- If you feel a burning sensation, add more olive oil.
Clove oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties in it. It stops further creation and development of mites on the skin. You can store this preparation for a week and use it regularly.
Dry skin treatment
Dry skin is very common in the winter season. Rarely it also occurs because of certain medications. Olive oil serves as a good moisturizer for dry skin.
- Olive oil
- Cooked oats
- Separate egg whites in a bowl.
- Add half a tablespoon olive oil.
- Add cooked oats.
- Mix them together and make a paste.
- Apply on your face and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash with cold water.
Repeat the same every 5 days.
Olive oil bath:
To soften and smoothen your skin, just add 5 tablespoons of olive oil to a bucket of water and have a bath with that water.
Do try these home remedies and keep skin diseases away.
Hildebrandt, A. A. C. & Johnston, N. W., 1902. The instrument for removing blackheads. United States, Patent No. US722019A.
Jafari, M. et al., 2007. A Promising Anti-Aging Chinese Herb. s.l.:Mary Ann Liebert, Inc..
M, T. et al., 2016. Treatment of ichthyosis lamellaris using a series of herbal skin care products family. 01 April, pp. 65-72.
Pratoomyot, J., Srivilas, P. & Noiraksar, T., 2005. Fatty acids composition of 10 microalgal species. pp. 1179-1187 .
Williams, H. C., 2005. Atopic Dermatitis. The NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL of MEDICINE, pp. 2314-2324.