Onion is a miracle ingredient that finds a place in every kitchen. This vegetable (or spice, should I say?) which is extremely flavorful is used n various cuisines not just because of its taste but also because it has numerous health benefits.
This herb / vegetable is aromatic, diuretic (causes better/increased urination), anti-bacterial, aphrodisiac (improves sexual wellness) and is also an expectorant (improves air passage and can hence be used to reduce congestion and treat cough).
So let us see these benefits in detail and also how we can use onions better in our everyday diet. Instead of discussing about what each disease or problem is, we will be focusing on how to use onion for best results.
In India, a woman who has delivered a child is given food with utmost care. The diet includes certain specific foods and these foods help regain energy and strength after child birth. One such food is the below recipe with onions.
- Peel white onions and slice them. Keep half a cup of such slices ready.
- Dry roast a tablespoon of cumin seeds (jeera) and Indian pennywort in pan.
- Boil all the above ingredients in two cups water and allow it to boil till the water reduces in half.
- Strain this and make a decoction.
You can consume 150 ml of this decocotion on a daily basis for the first two months.
Regulating blood pressure
Onion has hypotensive (lowers blood pressure) properties and as a result helps to regulate high blood pressure. The way in which onion has to be used in specified below:
- Blend slices of half a raw onion and squeeze the juice.
- This juice has to be mixed with a few drops of honey and a teaspoon of raw ginger juice.
- You can consume two teaspoons of this mix once daily for two to three weeks for best results.
To reduce diarrhea/diarrhoea
Make a juice of one raw white onion. Mix equal proportion of diluted lime juice and a teaspoon of ginger juice. Drink this twice a day for best results.
You can also make a soup of onions and eat this. During diarrhea, it is important to stay hydrated by drinking lots of fluids and the soup could be doubly beneficial.
Make a french onion soup by using very little olive oil.
- Saute minced or shredded onions in olive oil.
- Add spices such as pepper, ginger, parsley and little salt.
- Cook these till the onions are golden brown.
- Pour vegetable broth and required water to this and allow it to boil for a few minutes.
As simple as that!
To alleviate septic acne
Peel the skin and the outer layer of an onion, cut it in half. Soak this in salt water for a couple of hours. Now shred the onion and squeeze its juice. For pus filled acne, apply some of this raw onion juice with a ball of cotton and leave it overnight. You will see visible results.
To treat hemorrhoids (also referred to as Piles)
Topical application: Roast onion and allow it to cool. This can be used as a topical applicant to reduce piles.
Internal consumption: White onions cool the body. Fry shredded onion in sesame oil or ghee and eat with rice or noodles.
To reduce Nausea and vomiting
- Cut onion into slices, grind it and make half a cup of raw onion juice.
- Add a little honey to this juice and mix well.
- Add a pinch of dry ginger powder and drink this juice.
The same technique is also useful for treating cough.
To stop a nose bleed
Sit on a chair with your face up (facing the roof). Drop a few drops of onion juice in the bleeding nostril and wait for a few minutes. The nose bleed will stop.
Even these are just a few of the benefits of onions. Researchers and Ayurveda practitioners continue to discover new benefits of onion each day.