Diarrhea is the frequent passing of loose stools. If left untreated, diarrhea may cause dehydration, dizziness and fever. Simple home remedies can treat diarrhea effectively. One such effective home remedy is using the extract of pomegranate leaves and the fruit to stop loose stools. Pomegranate extract possesses lot of phytochemicals and tannins that makes it effective to cure conditions such as diarrhea.
From the three concentrations of pomegranate (punica granatum L.) leaf infusion that tested to white mice for 12% w/v, 24%w/v, 36%w/v, it could be concluded that concentration 36%w/v was the most effective in giving antidiarrheal effect due to it was equal with loperamide HCl.
Yuliani, N. N., Sambara, J. & Mega, S., 2016. Test of Antidiarrheal Effect of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L) Leaf Infusion to the Mature Male White Mice (Rattus norvegicus) which Induced by Oleum Ricini. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences, 4(2).
Drinking pomegranate juice has been shown to have antimicrobial properties against harmful bacteria that can exist in the stomach, such as eschericia Coli (e. Coli) or Bacillus subtilis, both of which can cause painful infections and serious stomach conditions. (Bhowmik, et al., n.d.)
Bhowmik, D. et al., n.d. Medicinal Uses of Punica granatum and Its Health Benefits. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.
Read the recipe here…
How to make pomegranate leaves and arils extract to cure diarrhea
This simple home remedy can be done in a few minutes and can be used for kids (not for children below 3 years of age) and adults safely with no side effects.
- 5 leaves Pomegranate (You can use dried leaves if available.)
- 20-30 arils Pomegranate fruit (This is to add flavour in case the person has nausea. You can skip this if you do not have nausea.)
- There are just two ingredients required for this remedy. Pomegranate leaves and a handful of the arils of pomegranate. Just the leaves extract is sufficient to cure diarrhea. But those with nausea may find it little difficult to drink the leaves extract. Since pomegranate fruit also has the properties to stop diarrhea, I usually add a little fruit juice to make it palatable.
- Pour 200 ml of water in a vessel and allow it to boil.
- Add fresh pomegranate leaves to the boiling water and allow it to boil for about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Switch off and allow the leaves to steep for about 3 minutes.
- Strain using a tea strainer to get the straw coloured clear extract.
- Take the arils in a small cup.
- I prefer to use only the fleshy part for this remedy. So squeeze the arils well with your thumb to get the juice.
- Remove the seeds.
- Mix the leaves extract and the juice together.
- The extract is ready. I suggest you do not add any natural or artificial sweetener since it tastes quite good.
- Drink this extract twice a day for severe cases and once a day for moderate levels of diarrhea.
- You can sundry pomegranate leaves and store them for future use if you do not have access to fresh leaves.