One of the painful things about growing old is seeing lines and wrinkles on your face. Although it is beautiful to age gracefully, we’d all want that process to happen as slowly as possible! When you’re youthful on the inside, it is only natural to want your face to reflect the same – right?! Star anise face pack can come in handy to delay the signs of ageing (1) and also slowly reduce the appearance of wrinkles (2) and fine lines.
Though there are many over the counter medications and cosmetics available, there are high chances that they cause side effects on the skin. Prolonged usage of cosmetics might the skin and general health in the long run. When there are many herbs and natural remedies available to work as anti-aging agents, why go for the cosmetics (3) which are full of chemicals?
This DIY recipe explains how to use star anise along with fuller’s earth (Multani mitti) for beautiful young skin. Below mentioned are most commonly used names (vernacular names) for the spice and fuller’s earth in India.
Star Anise – Names in other languages
- Scientific name– Illicium verum
- English– Star anise
- Hindi – Anasphal
- Sanskrit– Thakkolam
- Malayalam – Takkolam
- Bengali – Chakro Phool
- Tamil –Annasi poo
- Kannada – Kadamba
- Telugu – Anaspuvu
Fuller’s earth – Names in other languages
- Scientific name– Bentonite Clay
- English– Fuller’s earth
- Hindi – Multanee mittee
- Sanskrit– Multani mitti
- Malayalam – Moolthan mitti
- Bengali – Mulatani mati
- Tamil –Multhani matti
- Kannada – Mulathani mud
- Telugu – Multani Mud
Star anise benefits for skin
The oil present in star anise has properties that can soothe the skin, make skin feel healthy and glowing. It can help to tighten skin (4) and retain its youthfulness. Tannins present in star anise pods can help to tighten muscles and protect their tone. They can also prevent sagging near the eyes or near your jaw. The properties of star anise can clear dark spots (5) and blemishes as well. The high amount of anti-oxidants in it, helps to reduce oxidative stress (6) on the facial skin and helps to remove toxins too.
Other health benefits of star anise
The youth restoring spice is also very popular for the flavor it adds to the culinary dishes. Health benefits of star anise are plenty when consumed internally. There are few mentioned below.
- The anti-oxidant rich spice helps to remove free radicals (7) from the body when consumed internally.
- When added to soup and curries, it helps to treat cough/cold and flu
- It is used traditionally to treat nausea and abdominal cramps
- When consumed post meal, it helps to reduce bloating and gas
- The tea prepared using star anise helps to cure digestion issues
- Another popular use of star anise is to increase libido in both men and woman
- It is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral (8) by nature. It helps to treat many health ailments
- Prevents growth of cancer cells (9). Studies show that regular usage of star anise extract helped to prevent further growth of artificially induced cancer cells in rats
- The estrogen present in the spice, helps to regulate hormonal and menstrual disorders in women
- Boosts milk secretion in lactating mothers
How to use star anise oil
You can buy star anise essential oil from organic stores and add two drops of the oil to olive oil. You can then massage this oil onto your skin and wash off. This method will work well for those with dry skin. But those with oily skin will not prefer this since it might make skin more oily and difficult to maintain. We also have a recipe which explains how to make star anise infused oil. Read it and prepare the oil by yourself at home.
Other uses of the oil:
- Can be applied externally to treat inflammation (10)
- Treats rheumatism
- Can be applied on the chest to reduce phlegm
Who is this face pack suitable for?
The face pack suggested here is suitable for those with oily and combination skin. Fuller’s earth can cleanse skin, tighten pores, clear blemishes and make skin healthy. The combination of star anise and Fuller’s earth (or multani mitti) thus works great as an anti-aging treatment. For people who have very dry skin, please add few drops of oil to the pack before use. You can add any of the mentioned oils of your choice – coconut, olive, almond or castor.
Part from using the face pack, you may also like to use the oil prepared with star anise on a regular basis to promote healthy and young skin. Consumption of star anise tea will help you have a healthy body and glowing skin.
You can begin using this pack in your early thirties to delay aging or as a cure. But like many herbal and natural remedies, it is more effective as a prevention. Using this pack just once a week can do wonders for your skin.
Read the steps below to make this face pack at home.
Star anise face pack to remove wrinkles – Beauty remedy
- 3-4 pods Star anise (Also known as Chakra phool)
- 1 tablespoon Fuller’s earth (Also known as Multani mitti)
- Take 3-4 pods of star anise. Use 1 tablespoon of Fuller’s earth.
- In a mortar, take star anise pods.
- Crush them well with a pestle.
- Into small pieces as shown.
- Take the crushed pieces in a bowl.
- Now pour boiling hot water over crushed star anise.
- Close the bowl and allow star anise to soak well for about 10 minutes in the water.
- Remove the crushed pieces after the said time. You can retain the really small granular pieces.
- Pour the water in the clay.
- Mix the ingredients well.
- And the face pack is done.
Apply the face pack on your face and neck.
Leave it on for 20 minutes.
Wash off with plain water. Do not follow with soap.